Sunday, November 14, 2010

November sewing staycation

My sewing has been at a standstill since I've been hung up on working on a pants pattern and making a new sloper. The pants seem to fit well  enough that I can stop tweaking for now. I'll just add a one inch side seam to the pattern for insurance.

PMB released a new upgrade so I decided to re-check my measurements and make a new sloper. I've was a little suprised that I've gained a few inches. I had a moment for a few seconds, not happy. I played with my measurements in version four to get the fit that I wanted. I knew that they were off so I decided to start from scratch with new measurements. It took 3 muslins but I am happy with the final sloper. My sloper fits like a moulage so I have to think about ease decisions as I draft new patterns. I'm not fancy so I just need to tweak new styles as I pick different design options from Style Editor.

I'm on vacation for a week and it's my birthday so I have a date with my sewing machine. I am thinking about joining the Endless Combination contest on PR that starts tomorrow. I see this as a prelude to joining the Swap Contest starting at Stitcher's Guild on December 26th.  I will wait to see before I join. I'm good at starting buy flunk at completing any contest. I'm not competitve when it comes to sewing. I want to sew so I'm not going to jinx myself.

I like the flow of sewing from one garment to the next. I have trouble sticking to a plan so I just make decisions as I work on a garment. I have a vague idea of what I want and what is missing from the closet so I have a general idea about where to start.  I don't feel restricted and all of the garments work with others so I avoid making orphans. 

I'm working mostly with blue and gray fabrics. I have a bunch of pre-washed fabric ready to sew. The stash has a supply of backup fabric if things don't work out. It feels good that I don't have to run out to buy fabric. It's sad but I love having a stash.

Muslin, coffee and mimosas will be my friends this week. I'm so excited about staying home, playing in my sewing room and reading. This is going to be a relaxing and stressfree week.

3 comments:

Debra Martin said...

HaPpY (belated) BirtHdaY!!! What a nice birthday gift to yourself - a week at home to sew. I can't wait to see what you make.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

I also want to add belated birthday wishes and ask how did your week turn out? Did you sew? What did you make? Pictures ~ she asks hopefully!

Hanswife said...

Just stumbled in I have to say you and I could share a staycation...I am a close personal friend of coffee, muslin and mimosas! besides we may be sisters of different mothers. I have lived that Prom dress story although it's mostly my sister that came up with a "photo"

Julianne