Friday, April 8, 2011

Life changes

DGD lives with us during the week and takes up most of my time in the evening when DS is in school. She is such a joy to be with but at the same time helping to take care of her has kept me out of the sewing room. I love her but I do miss the downtime after work. Being a grandparent is much easier than being a parent. I have spoiled her rotten but she is learning what no and stop means. Next month she will be a year old and it has been a fast year.

I have been slowly sewing since November. I have been working on tweaking my pants and skirt patterns to add a full tummy adjustment so that I have breathing room when I sit down. The long winter and fitting issues has added to the sewing slowdown. After cleaning out the closet, it is bare and if I don't start sewing soon, I will be in big trouble.

Last Sunday, DH and I was driving DM and her sister to a birthday dinner. As we are going down the road, my aunt hands me a bag with fabric and patterns to make a prom dress for her DGD. The prom is April 15th. Both of them have decided that they are going to make this dress with my help. It has been at least 25 years since either of them touched a sewing machine. There is an assumption that it is okay to take over my sewing room and that I am free to help them after working 10 hours a day. 

My cousin bought a black cheap satin and a silky printed polyester from Joanns. They bought patterns for a corset and a draped front skirt that they wanted combined into a dress. On Tuesday, I left muslin for them to make a trial garment. I got home from work and they had cut out the skirt pattern too small. They did manage to sew the corset together and only sewed one section on backwards. My cousin came and I tried to tell her that it would not look good but entitled childen only hear what they want. At the end of the night, DM left with a suit that I spend the last month working on and a skirt. But she agreed to buy DGD's Easter dress. This worked out perfect since I wasn't happy with the jacket.

Last night, I drafted a new skirt which was closer to what my cousin wanted. I tacked the black satin to my dressform and started draping the skirt. It was butt ugly so I stopped in my track and called them to come see the dress. I took a picture and showed everybody at work.  Everybody agreed that it was butt ugly. I pulled out fabric from the stash and offered it to my cousin but nothing was what she wanted. She did not like any fabric on the internet. I helped her find a dress at Saks. So now I am out of making a butt ugly prom dress. This is the reason that I don't sew for other people.

4 comments:

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Ohmygosh have I done that and been there! And isn't it so much harder to say no to family and even more annoying when family won't listen! But thankfully you've been saved from additional drama!!!

Melodye said...

It's so much easier when the sewee is younger than 7! And family doesn't ask they just assume since you sew, you'd be more than happy to do whatever insane thing they ask you to.

Barbara said...

Nice to hear from another woman doing grandmother support. I take care of my granddaughter 2 shifts a week while my DD nurses. They keep you busy but mothering is a lifetime job isn't it?

And sewing for other people - well it just takes the fun out of sewing IMO. Keep posting, you are a great writer.

Kimberly said...

So glad that you got out of that sewing. I have a really hard time saying no to my friends and family and often feel compelled to make them various things. It takes all the fun out of it.