Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Never again

I bumped my head when I thought that I was out of the prom dress business. After we found a dress, it turned out that her mother did not have any money to buy a dress. WTH!!!!. This is after I asked what were they expecting to spend on a dress. Needless to say, Grandma objected to spending $348 on the dress. So they came back to invade my sewing room again.

DM and Grandma worked on the top of the dress while I was at work. Big lesson learned, do not buy boning from Joann's. Second lesson, do not buy boning from Walmart. The boning was so cheap and flimsy that I had to use 2 pieces in some places. I used the fitting muslin for the underlining. I had DM sew a channel using bias tape around the top of the underlining. I ran a piece of elastic thru the casing to keep the dress from falling down. Another lesson learned, when you are barely a B cup do not buy cheap boning and wait until the last minute to make a dress. Can you tell that I'm ticked off about the boning.

Now they decide that they are going to change the skirt part of the dress. I used PMB to draft a new skirt because Grandma is dismayed that her "private parts" are going to be on display when she sits down in this dress or tries to get out of the limo. My cousin and her mother use my rotary cutter to cut out the skirt and the lining. IT WAS A HOT MESS. They decided that the skirt was too long so they cut it shorter. They cut off the hem.

I got roped into the mess when it was time to join the corset and the skirt. On the corset,  they sewed the bottom of the outer fabric to the underlining. Now I have to make slits in the channels to slide the boning in place. I can't adjust the corset where it is slightly too loose because I be dammed if I going to rip stitches out of black fabric at night. Grandma draped the front of the skirt and I sewed the top to the bottom.

Now the fun starts, the original corset tied up the back. I told my mother that it would be a cold day in hell before I made those eyelets. I told them that I wanted to put the zipper in the side seam but it slipped their minds. Steam is rising as I struggle to sew a zipper into the back of this dress. I ended up redoing the zipper twice before it looked presentable. The inside of the dress is so bad that I used the pinking shears to try to make it look better. The dress is not short enough so I pin a deeper hem in the dress and give it to Grandma to finish the hem.

I was glad to see this dress leave my house. My sewing room was trashed, my rotary cutter blade has nicks. DM knows that I will never be pushed into sewing for somebody else again. Grandma and DM learned that sewing is not as easy as they thought. My cousin and everybody was happy with this dress. This reminds me of why I don't sew for other people.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is just awful. I've not tried it myself, but I have read that other people have found that they can use zip ties from Home Depot as a sturdy, cheap, last minute boning.

Lorraine said...

I do sew for other people. I have given up on prom dresses. I didn't like the last few I did and I don't need the aggravation.

Ivalyn "Tee" Jones-Actie said...

LOL

security equipment said...

This is not the first of your posts I've read, and you never cease to amaze me. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more.

Adams Scott said...

I found that site very useful and this survey is very curious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious...
advertising agencies in pakistan | advertising agencies in Lahore | advertising agencies in Karachi

Best Article Websites said...


Very significant article for us , I think the representation of this article is actually superbly one. This is my first visit to your site.
Advertising agencies in UK | Mobile apps for university