Monday, May 7, 2012
My first dress for DGD
I bought a shimmery fabric from Joann's and used it for the bodice and sleeves. I used the same fabric as a under layer on the skirt. I sewed everything except the side seams. We tried the dress on when she came to my house the next weekend. The dress was too big and too short. I made a band for the bottom of the dress by cutting a 8 inch border which I folded in half. I interfaces the band with tulle and serged it to the bottom of the dress.
I had bought some tulle that had clear stones glued to it from Joann's. The fabric was a PIA because the only way to remove the stones was to cut the tulle. I cut the overskirt like a pocket with the fold at the hem and added a back seam. We bought artificial roses from the dollar store which DS and DH cut apart to make petals. The petals are sandwiched between the layers of tulle and freely float around. The overskirt is hand sewed to the dress. The red ribbon and flower came from Joann's.
The pattern included a pattern for a lined purse so she got one. She can carry Dora and some tissues around. I sandwiched more rose petals between the tulle and the base fabric. I wished that I had done a better job of trimming the petals before I sealed the purse.