Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Stash busting -just keep on using me until you use me up

I've been working on using stash fabrics for a couple of months. So far, I've made a tiny, tiny, tiny dent in the stash. I've used about 35 yards of fabric that has been keeping me company. 
Gone are:
11 yards of a black double knit -  Some garments worked better than others.
5  yards of a green/black print knit - dress & jacket. This is one of my favorite outfits so far
3 yards of a printed knit from A Fabric Place- 2 tops that turned out to be a pleasant suprise. I made Hot patterns 3 Graces cowl neck and a PMB surplice top that I ruched one side of the center panel. I just need to hem the tops and shorten the sleeves on the cowl neck
8 yards used as failed muslins - now trashed. I had to stop myself from trying to reuse the fabric. I had put the used fabric in the trash and then pulled it out. It went back in the trash.
6 yards for testing pants. The crotch fit is not perfect but they will be fine to wear under long tops.
2 1/2 yards modal knit used to make a cardigan and camisole

I was spending way too much time visiting blogs yesterday and I came across a stash busting sewalong at Cation Designs . I figured that this would help to keep me motivated to use up some of this fabric that is occupying way too much space in my house.

Here is my pledge:
I, Towanda, commit to using as many as possible pieces of stash fabric in 2013. I am committing to spend at least 15  minutes in my sewing room 4-5 days a week. I also am committing to not buying any new fabric except for fabric that I need to finish a collection or special one time pieces that I can't easily find again. I will shop my stash before hitting the submit button and ordering fabric.

This is fabric that I am thinking about using for the 2013 SWAP Contest. I started out pre-washing most of this fabric and ended up prewashing 2 big ziploc bags of fabric that are taunting me in my sewing room.   





2 comments:

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

I guess it's time for me to take the final plunge and sign the pledge. Congrats on doing so. Looking forward to your beautiful creations.

me said...

Good for you. Looking forward to seeing your completed projects. I talk about reducing stash then a good sale comes along. I'm hopeless.
Marciae