Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fearless February - Red Dress





This is the pile of fabric at the start my challenge. One of my long-term goals has been to draft a sheath dress in PMB. When Victoria started this sewalong, it inspired me to do the work and to draft this pattern. In addition to drafting the pattern, I decided that I would underline the dress using silk organza and line the dress with Ambiance. I lucked up because I had everything that I needed in the stash. Sometime last year, I bought a bunch of organza in different colors on sale. I can't remember who the vendor was. The red Ambiance came from a Joann's sale. I bought the rest of the bolt and ended up with 17 yds. The fashion fabric is a boucle that has been in the stash for a bunch of years. I think that I bought it from Fabric.com in the early years.

I sandwiched the paper pattern between two layers of soil separator paper and traced the pattern. I cut out everything in layers. The soil separator paper clings to fabric so I placed in on the table first. Next went the fashion fabric and then the silk organza. The soil separator pattern was the top layer.  This worked somewhat. Next time, I will press the organza so it lays better.

I hand basted the underlining to the fashion fabric. I thought that I would hate it but it didn't take as long as I thought that it would. I interfaced the neck and armscye openings. Once I started working with the dress, I realized that this fabric was probably not a good choice for this pattern. The fabric is so soft and when you press it it flattens the boucle. My invisible zipper went in without any problems.

Now, it is time for a WTH minute. Everything was going well until I noticed that I had too much fabric in the chest area. I realized that I made a mistake when I traced the front pattern piece. I had a little excess on the paper pattern fold line and I should have trimmed it off. I pleated out the excess fabric and went to bed last night. This morning the plan is to stitch the pleat in place. I'll add some seed beads down the front and around the neckline dress up the front. this will make me feel better. Note to self - retrace the front pattern piece.

I want some mindless sewing today so I cut out Lekala 4119 .
It is a cowl neck pattern with a band at the hem. I'm using a red ITY knit from Fabric Mart . I bought 6 yds so I plan to make a few tops to add some color to the wardrobe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

The red looks like it will make an interesting dress! You can press the boucle on a towel that should help with stopping the boucle from flattening!

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you for joining the sewalong!!!