Monday, October 21, 2013

L2 Bag from Sewing Workshop - October Challenge

I finished a project on time for a change. I spent the weekend working on this purse.
I'm leaving on a work trip next Monday and I wanted a big bag for the airplane. I've had this pattern in the stash for a while. I like it and will be making it again. This project was intense since this was the first time that I made a bag. It is a great pattern, well written and the pieces went together smoothly.  The original bag is huge and I had the nerve to add two extra inches in width. The finished bag is 22 inches wide and 14 inches high. I think that it can easily be scaled down.

I made multiple changes to the pattern. I did vary from my original plan. I should have thought about the changes better and wrote them down on the directions.

I made a bunch of changes to the pockets. One pocket was divided into sections. I can fit my business card holder, cell phone and pens in this section. It sits inside of an outer pocket.


This is an outside hidden pocket. I wanted a outside pocket that I can use for my cell phone. I love the pop of color against the zebra print.  It brings a smile to my face.  I added an outside pocket. The fabric is two sided so I flipped it over for the outside pocket.

This is a pleated hidden pocket that will hold my Nook.

Added a tab to hold my keys. I hate searching my purse for keys. I used a faux leather for the tab. The purse is closed with a big snap. I need to pick up magnetic closures for the next purse.


Added rings to the straps to make them longer. The original straps would have been too short for the purse to comfortable fit under my arm.  
I wanted the bottom of the purse to be stronger. I used two pieces of plastic needlepoint canvas and a piece of stiff interfacing to reinforce the bottom. All three pieces fit inside of a sleeve that I made from the lining fabric. I tried to use buttons for purse feet but it was driving me crazy trying to sew all of it together. I got two feet done and called it quits. Instead I will tack the lining down to hold it in place.
 
On the next purse, I will add zippers to one of the pockets and change the size of the first pocket. I felt that it needs to be at least 1-2 inches deeper. Add a stiff interfacing to the sides of the bag to give it more support.
 
The best part of  this project is that everything came from the stash. I have enough zebra print to make a clutch purse to carry to church or for date nights. I'm glad that I participated because this is my first time making a bag that I will carry around (just don't look too closely at the topstitching, lol). All in all, I'm grateful for the camaraderie from the participants and the cheerleaders at Stitcher's Guild
 
My next project is to make a wearable muslin for a blouse in PMB. The first muslin looked promising.
 
 

7 comments:

Nanna said...

love the purse! you did a fantastic job!
Helen

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

Great color combination

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Well done Towanda for completing a challenge - only I'm not sure which challenge it was. As the fabric came from stash, it can go on www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot challenge as well :)

Towanda said...

Sarah, you're right. It does fit both challenges. I'll post it to the stash challenge.

Claire R. said...

Wow Towanda that bag is even more fabulous than I thought it was! A KEY FOB sewed into it!! That is so clever. But the really clever smart idea was to make a sleeve for the stiffeners in the bottom of the bag! My piece of plastic needlepoint canvas is sliding around like anything in my bag!

Next time I am going to make a sleeve and call it The Towanda Sleeve!!!

Luz Clara

Nancy said...

Great bag and the fabric you chose is wonderful, really set off with the purple. Great job!

Anonymous said...

GroveTimes.com is inviting you to be our guest blogger. We have a PR of 3 and ranked among the top 600,000 in the world. Hope to hear from you soon.