Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Back in the saddle again

Now I've landed  the job, I need to start looking the part. I have been wearing scrubs for the past two years so I didn't need clothes for work. That changes the first of May when I start the new job. My wardrobe needs to be a combination of professional and business casual garments. I'm going to start by auditioning the clothes that I have made to see what will work.

I like a classic look with some twists. My goal is to develop a capsule wardrobe following the plan here: Into-mind -building-a-capsule-wardrobe-from-scratch. I started studying this site and a couple of others as I was going to the different interviews. I'm on a RTW fast so I will not be buying any clothes. I will be spending my money on accessories including my favorite things - shoes. Umm, I will have to learn how to wear heels all day again. I hate doing laundry so I want enough garments to last 2-3 weeks.

The general criteria for my wardrobe is:
Self-made garments. I will include some RTW that I already own
easy care mix and match ( some garments will be dry clean only or hand washing but mostly machine wash)
dress code is a mix of professional and dressier business casual

Core colors - black,  gray for early spring then add in navy and tan for the summer
Accent colors - red, white, cream, pale blue, purple, green. 
The good thing is that I have most of these colors in the stash.

Uniform sets
3 pieces outfits work the best for me. I'm a big fan of twin sets and I wear a lot of skirts and pants.
pants or pencil skirt+shell+cardigan
pants or pencil skirt+shell+jacket
long skirt+short top
dresses
tunic and slim leg pants

Accessories
Shoes - flats, pumps and slingbacks.
Jewelry - gold and silver. I only buy costume jewelry because I am always losing earrings.
Handbags - variety - some will be self made

Starting Garments
I have to sort out what is already in the wardrobe and what needs to be made. I might raid my mother's closet.
4 dresses
4 pairs of slim leg pants
4 pairs of wider leg pants
4 skirts
6 knit tops
6 shells
4 woven longer sleeve tops
6 cardigans
4 jackets

Hair and makeup
Loc styling - I will be wearing my hair up because it looks more professional
Need new makeup to go with my new glasses. I was kinda freaked out Saturday when I went to get new glasses. Buying glasses is a rip-off, glasses should not cost almost 1500.00.  Then they try to tell you that you are getting a discount when the final price is almost 700.00. I asked for my prescription and they weren't happy that I requested it. I came home and checked out online eyewear sites.

I've been thinking about this collection for the past few weeks. I am writing this down so I can see what I need to sew and get it out of my head. This weekend I will be going over what I already own and continuing to work on my 2014 Swap. I wore my first 3Pac to two of the interviews.

I'll be ordering shoes and going jewelry shopping soon. I gave up buying fabric and Pepsi for Lent so I have money for something else. Lol.

7 comments:

Far said...

Congrats!! :)

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

Congrats on the new job.

Capsule wardrobes are great ideas. I make a small one every season and keep the items I adore. That's how I developed my personal style

Enjoy!

Mary said...

Congratulations! I know you will pull together an impressive wardrobe. As to the glasses, wow! I wonder why they were so expensive?

Maggie said...

I hope you will continue to share as you build your wardrobe. I love reading the process behind people's wardrobe.

BeaJay said...

Congratulations on the job. That is an impressive list of garments. Looking forward to seeing them finished.

L said...

Congratulations on the new position. I look forward to seeing you work through your wardrobe. Great to see you again.

Roz said...

Congratulations on your new job!!! What fun putting together a new wardrobe. You have a great plan!