Saturday, April 5, 2014

Building my capsule wardrobe part 2

I went over the clothes that were hanging in the closet last weekend. I pulled out all of the clothes that I don't plan to wear again.  I threw a few things away and I'm waiting for my sister to come and see what she wants. Anything left goes to charity.

The next step was to reorganize the closet following the ideas in this blog post lessons-from-closet-reorganization . After I was finished, I learned that I have a lot  of work to do. I only have a few pieces that will work for the new job.

Planning the new wardrobe
I will admit that I'm not a visual person. I have problems trying to see how to pull outfits together. I found a neat way to see how your outfits go together. Suzie from Su Sews So-So has created what she calls Style Sudoko .  She created a grid that you can use to mix and match outfits.

[Style-Sudoku-key---su-sews-so-so4.jpg]

I wear a lot of black and patients think black is professional so it works as a core color until the weather gets really warm. Suzie created a template at Polyvore that I used to create a basic black set. I substituted jackets for the accessory box. This set only includes skirts but I can easily substitute pants for the skirts. This is a great idea. It is interesting how the different lines go together.
 
I have 3 of the 4 pairs of shoes, I need to find the striped shoes. I have several black pencil skirts but plan to make a leather skirt next week. I have several black shells. I'm working on a longer black skirt and a leather and knit twin set. I have all of the fabrics that I need in the stash.
 
 
Things that I need to do:
Try on all of the remaining clothes and do another clean out of garments that don't fit or flatter
Take pictures of the remaining garments that will work with a spring/summer wardrobe. Use Powerpoint to put together a Sudoko with the garments in the closet.
Store everything that will not been worn in the next 4 months in another location.
Declutter the shoes and make a podiatrist appt.
Change to a thinner closet hangers, I'm currently using the cheap plastic hangers from Wal-Mart.
Test dying my hair a silver gray. I'm going to test a few locs to see if I like the color first.
Re-do my sloper to check fit before I sew any more garments.
 
 

6 comments:

L said...

This is an interesting concept. I am always looking for ways to improve my wardrobe and coordinate what I already have. Thanks for sharing.

Roz said...

Leather will be an awesome addition to your closet!

Nanna said...

this is some neat ideas, too many times after I;m dressed & in public I think why did I wear this! lol! if you have a pay less shoes near by they have a black & white shoe collection in & they have black stripped shoes which I am so going back for lol! you've inspired me to go through my closet!
Helen

Annette said...

You are inspiring me to clean out my closet. There are so many things I don't wear. I might just have to bite the bullet and just do it.

L said...

I nominated you for the Leibster Blog Award: http://yousewgirl.blogspot.com/2014/04/leibster-blog.html

Dawn said...

Thanks for the Polyvore link. I followed it and had fun playing with it this morning.