Sunday, May 18, 2014

Summer sewing projects

I started my new job last week and it is going to be great.  I have met some fantastic people and everyone is so nice and welcoming. I have survived two business trips and have more trips in the future. Airlines are the pits. Last week reminded me of the importance of good customer service. I had a few near meltdown moments after dealing with cancelled flights. My clinic is not ready so I'll be traveling and working from home. I'll have more time to sew in between trips since I don't have a daily commute.

I changed my sewing plans to reflect the warmer weather. I think that I have sewing ADHD because I never stick to a plan. Mt current plans are to make 2 6Pacs since I don't own any warm weather clothes suitable for work and traveling. One collection will be skirts and twin sets. I need the cardigans for wearing in the clinic and I can whip them off when I come out into the heat. The second collection will contain 4 dresses and 2 cardigans. I'll be adding some extra tops to the collection to give it some variety.

Collection One - Basics
I was playing around with Polyvore and came up with this group for my first collection of basic garments.  It is more than 6 pieces but all of the patterns are easy. I already own the black skirt and all of the shoes. My shoes are slightly different but the style is the same. The cardigans will have 3/4 sleeves and matching tank tops. All of the fabric except for the red will come from the stash.



I started sewing this weekend. So far I have made a black and white print pencil skirt - just need to add elastic, finish the vent and the hem. I cut out a black cardigan with 3/4 sleeves but didn't have enough for a top. I might have another fabric that I can use. Next up is a black & white white zebra print shell since the machines are threaded with white thread.
 
I'm going on a fabric shopping trip to NYC at the end of the month. My plan is to pick up some cotton/lycra knit for twin sets, a couple of floral pieces for skirts and whatever strikes my fancy. I haven't bought fabric since Lent started so this trip is my treat to me.

 



4 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow! What an excellent capsule wardrobe. It looks you will be sewing it with me in mind. :) I look forward to checking back to see your progress.

Faye Lewis said...

That is a great capsule and will make a wonderful work wardrobe.

Roz said...

Your collection is on point.

M-T said...

Just a note to thank you, Towanda, for the very kind "heads up" for my Blog, The French Touch, on Artisans Square.

Much appreciated.

Cheers, M-T